January 31, 2010

Project Report Week #3 - Video/Jitter/Sonict Duo

I spent this week filming again and sorting through the footage I took last weekend. After rewatching the Radio Flocking clip I posted last week, I've decided to concentrate on those video clips that deal more obviously with communications technology to lend some unity and cohesion to the piece as a whole.

The multimedia ensemble Sonict Duo (Matt Sintchak/Jeff Herriott) performed at Lawrence University this past Thursday and their performance was thought provoking. The videos which accompanied their music were generally very textural and featured long stretches with little variation. Even though these videos were fixed media (prerecorded DVD's instead of live interactive video) and differed vastly from what I envision for this current, their sparseness left plenty of room to concentrate on both the visual and aural components of the performance.

Finally, I've largely assembled the Jitter patch I'll be using to control the video component of the piece. Andrew Benson's tutorials on the Cycling '74 website have been invaluable for the project and saved me time from having to build all of the components of the patch from the ground up. Having the patch assembled makes it easier to begin incorporating the video clips into the project as I edit them.

Jeff Herriott (from Sonict Duo) also spoke to some of us composers at Lawrence and showed us the Max patch he created to use with the Duo. I'm sure that I will incorporate some of his tricks into the audio component of this project later on.

2 comments:

  1. Based on the radio flocking clip, what you're doing already floats my boat more than the video that came out of the sonict duo performance. the qulaity of those videos seemed amateurish, but it looks like you're thinking of color and composition more whereas they seemed caught up in digital processing (that looked pretty cheesy most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blue Sky Boys? A non-Sonict Duo? Glad to see you're finding online help with the patches. Digital survival strategy for the future!

    ReplyDelete